Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day

I've been thinking a lot about memorial day and the various reasons that we as Americans send our sons and daughters overseas.

What are these reasons? Are they true or false? Do we believe what we are told? Do we believe in our government? Given my history, I find myself awkwardly straddling the chasm that spans honoring the profound sacrifice that has been laid upon what Lincoln called "the altar of freedom" and a deep question reflex in my mind that so frequently asks "Has this all been worth it?" Has it been worth the human lives expended to honor pieces of colored fabric that we like to call flags?

The quickest way to end a war, according to George Orwell, is to lose it. I'm going to hold that one in my mind for today. At the moment, it feels much more valid than a parade.





A flag lays discarded in a Vermont cemetery in 2011


For more work of my work check out today's article in Vermont Commons as well as my website, Facebook page, and Twitter via @LivefromGround



No comments:

Post a Comment